1. Education

Deb Peterson

Army Opens Prep School for GED Students

By August 6, 2008

This week the U.S. Army opened The Army Preparatory School at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, for soldiers who need help meeting the military's education requirements. Gina Cavallaro writes about the new school for the Army Times in Army to Grow its Own High School Grads: Pilot program to help young people get GEDs.

This is a new opportunity for people who have wanted to serve but didn't finish high school. Recruits enter the school as soldiers, with the caveat that if they don't successfully earn their GED in the program, they go home without any penalty.

If you're interested in this program, contact the Army, and be careful out there.

Talk about all things GED in the forum.

Comments

October 13, 2008 at 5:45 pm
(1) Robert Harper says:

This program is great i start this program next week and its getting my life on the right track

October 16, 2008 at 10:55 am
(2) john sanderson says:

I am interested in this program. How do I get in?

October 17, 2008 at 1:05 pm
(3) Deb Peterson says:

Hi Robert and John,
Congrats to both of you for working toward your GED. John, click on the Army link above and search on their site for GED. They should have clear instructions for you.
Good luck to both of you!
Deb

November 2, 2008 at 11:22 am
(4) Toni says:

My daughter started this program last week–its not easy and she is scared-but I know if she can complete the GED program, finish basic training that she will actually accomplish a goal and give her self true self worth. Not just lip service. God Bless the Army for trying to help these kids succeed in life.

November 2, 2008 at 11:42 am
(5) Deb Peterson says:

Good luck to your daughter, Toni. Come back and share her success story with us!

February 4, 2009 at 9:59 am
(6) Toni says:

My daughter actually has her GED a couple of weeks ago. It was hard but she persevered with the Army’s help. She has gone onto bootcamp and I could’nt be prouder of her.

I thought I would never see the day she would have a high school diploma, much less stick with anything long enough to succeed.
Thank you Army!! Thank You!!!

February 5, 2009 at 7:08 am
(7) Deb Peterson says:

Congrats!!! Wonderful! We all need to find the thing that inspires us, don’t we? I’m glad your daughter had success with the Army GED program. I can imagine her confidence will continue to soar. Keep us posted, will you? I hope to have a user contribution form soon, where you can submit a success story photo. Keep an eye out for it. I’d love to include your daughter.
Deb

February 23, 2009 at 9:18 pm
(8) Harry Farrell 18 says:

I’m studying hard to get a score of 50 on my AFQT so that I may get my GED with the Army, does anyone know the chances of this school closing down?

Does anyone know wether enough recruits are being enrolledand how the school is doing?

February 24, 2009 at 12:13 pm
(9) Neal says:

Hey, I unfortuanlly quit school due to stupid things that were going on in my life but everybody makes mistakes..anyway ,,Ive been talking to a recruiter for a while now ive been studying for the asvab he tells be you have to score atleast a 50 to be able to enlist in the army GED+ .. ive takin the asvab once and scored good on it but i want to be a combat medic so im going to retake it to get the MOS i want but ill deff write back too tell you how everything went..

February 25, 2009 at 8:25 am
(10) Sam says:

I leave in a few days to do the aps program. Yes you have to score at least a 50 but sadly the program is closing in may it was just a trial program to help more enlist because numbers were down.

February 25, 2009 at 9:00 am
(11) Deb Peterson says:

Good luck, you guys.

Here’s what Army.com says about GED credentials in its education requirements:

(5) GED certificates earned through the National Guard Youth Challenge Program (NGYCP), or accredited state Job Corps Centers, are considered Tier 1 if accompanied by the NGYCP certificate or Job Corps Center completion certificate.

Those are additional resources for you, if they’re nearby.

March 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm
(12) pvt mathis says:

im in delayed entry for active duty 11x, waiting to be shipped out in july. yet reading this makes me question. the army is saying i can not join because i have a ged, im signed and pledged and this is still going on. im told i need a highschool diploma but yet this states you can indeed join with a ged. does this situation make since to anyone?

April 1, 2009 at 1:24 pm
(13) Duane says:

The Army GED program has been a great success. It will continue at least through April of 2010. If anyone is interested, they need to talk to an Army recruiter. Recruiters were told a few weeks ago that the program was ending, but that was erroneous information. They should have been told that the program is continueing.

April 1, 2009 at 5:40 pm
(14) Deb Peterson says:

Thanks for the new info, Duane. I just blogged about how the National Guard is promoting the GED Plus program through NASCAR. Good move.

April 10, 2009 at 9:19 am
(15) Dawn S. says:

My husband just left for the program almost 2 weeks ago. I havn’t heard from him in over a week though. This program has made him more confident, just knowing he could get into it made his chest swell with pride…but they told him that his class is the last one. (atleast at the base he’s at.)

April 10, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(16) Deb Peterson says:

Pvt. Mathis – I’m sorry I missed your post, and that you’re having problems with the program. Has your situation changed yet?
Deb

April 10, 2009 at 1:56 pm
(17) Deb Peterson says:

Hi Dawn,

Congrats to your husband. It sounds like they’re keeping him very busy! I’m glad he got into the program just in time. Keep us posted!
Deb

April 10, 2009 at 3:35 pm
(18) Dawn S. says:

Okay so, an hour after I left my comment I got a letter from him. apparently he’s been in processing for about 9 days and actually started the program yesterday. He’ll call on Sunday. But he’s having a blast, and I’ll know more about the actual program when he calls.

April 11, 2009 at 9:02 am
(19) Deb Peterson says:

Wow, 9 days. It’ll be fun to know how it’s going. Fill us in!

September 16, 2009 at 10:58 am
(20) Alicia says:

I have a question,my husband is at APS as we speak and has taken the test and passed everything but Math and is really struggling with it.He only has one more chance to pass it.If he should fail,God forbide he does, but if he does and goes home will he not be able to EVER try again and join because he wants this sooo bad and it would devastate him to not be able to join at all or at least try again.Also,what are some other options?

September 16, 2009 at 11:18 am
(21) Deb Peterson says:

Hi Alicia,
Your husband is lucky to have so much support at home. That makes it all a little easier. Kudos to you.

There are free GED practice sites on the internet, and I have some articles on my site that might help.

Here is what is on the math test: The GED Math Test

Here is where he can find free online practice tests: Test Prep Review

Good luck! and let us know how he does.

September 25, 2009 at 12:49 am
(22) Stephen says:

Hello, I have a quick question if you don’t mind. Say if I have my GED which I will within the next couple months would I be able to join the Army? Or would I have to get College Credits?

July 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm
(23) Mikael Todd says:

Hello everyone. I dont have my GED but I want in the Army so bad. Is that prep school still open or is there some sort of way i can get in?

February 27, 2011 at 10:13 pm
(24) Sammi says:

Yes ! I was woundering the same Is this program still opened ??

June 24, 2011 at 1:41 am
(25) josh says:

so do you go through basic training while your getting your ged

June 27, 2011 at 8:15 am
(26) Deb Peterson says:

Hi Josh,
No, I believe you go through the GED program first and then are enlisted. But check with the Army to be sure.

September 25, 2011 at 2:29 am
(27) Larry Blake II says:

i want to join the army and i am not sure if the program is still open can some one please tell me if it is? i dropped out of highschool to take up farmwork and take care of my grandfather and i want to better myself i just need info to see if it is still open if not i will try my best at anyother way.

September 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm
(28) Jay says:

Is 2012 is this program still up i really want to join the army anyone knows ?