1. Education

Deb Peterson

Do You Use Cramster? Course Hero?

By May 19, 2009

Lisa W. Foderaro wrote for the New York Times Sunday about student Web sites like Cramster and Course Hero, and how they're changing the way students study and teachers teach.

On one hand, the sites are a great way for students to learn from each other, to investigate what they got wrong on a test, to find the correct solution to math equations they missed. On the other, it can be a strong temptation to cheat.

How do you use student help sites? Have you ever been tempted to cheat?

There is a teaching side to this issue.

"As faculty, we need to be better educated about what the possibilities are, and the truth is you can't put the genie back in the bottle," said David A. Sachs, an associate dean in the Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems at Pace University.

What are your thoughts about this? As either a student or a teacher.

Comments

May 19, 2009 at 3:30 pm
(1) Michelle says:

I’m a college student and I’ve been using Cramster for about a year now.

The site has never tempted me to cheat… because I only access it when I’m doing homework (which my prof. assigns for practice) or when I’m studying for a test. I’d like to know how professors feel about it. Hopefully they’re ok with it because it has really helped my grades.

I’ve heard of CourseHero but haven’t tried it yet.

May 20, 2009 at 8:08 am
(2) Deb Peterson says:

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for sharing your experience with Cramster. I have a feeling most students use it like you do, for honest help. People who use it for cheating will probably cheat any way they can. I, too, am hoping we’ll hear from some teachers.

May 27, 2009 at 3:12 am
(3) John says:

Sorry, Deb. Most students use cramster to have other people do their homework for them. How do I know? I found cramster in January 2008. I knew some of my students never came to me for homework help and they were doing weird things with their homework. So I searched the web and found cramster. I’ve been active on cramster since then, primarily to make sure that none of my students are using it. But most of the users simply post their homework on cramster and wait for someone to do it for them. They only give the highest rating to a response if you give a full solution, with all calculations and answers. Most of the students have online homework, so they just copy the answer from cramster into their homework system. This isn’t just a feeling… this is my conclusion from my first-hand experience, spending more hours than you can imagine on cramster in the past 18 months.

May 27, 2009 at 7:36 am
(4) Deb Peterson says:

I was wondering. Thanks for sharing your experience, John. How disappointing, but not really surprising, I guess. I hope there are other students like Michelle who use it honestly. What a shame that you’ve had to spend so much time investigating. How do students who cheat with Cramster on homework pass the test?

May 27, 2009 at 1:17 pm
(5) Carleigh McKenna says:

Deb–

You raise an important question about the irresponsible use of Cramster and test scores. A student who wants to do the minimum and copy homework, grab a friendís lecture notes instead of attending class, or collaborate on a take-home exam, can find the medium that suits his desire Ė whether that medium is in a library or on Cramster. But in the end, exams are the great equalizer. For the most part, students are judged by their performance on exams Ė the students who take short-cuts along the way will be penalized.

John–

I am sorry to hear that you have a poor perception of Cramster.com. The instances you describe of students copy/pasting solutions are instances of plagiarism. We do not tolerate plagiarism, and invite you to email integrity@cramster.com with any questions or concerns. For more information, please see our
Anti-Cheating Policy.

I recently posted a blog questioning readers about the ethics of online homework help, and found the user-submitted comments to be quite insightful– read them here.

Finally, John, I would like to continue this conversation and use your experiences and suggestions to improve upon the Cramster.com learning model.  I can be reached via email:  carleigh@cramster.com, or phone:  626.737.0393×707.

Carleigh McKenna
Marketing/Communications Associate
Cramster.com

May 30, 2009 at 1:21 pm
(6) Samir says:

Well guys I’ve never used cramster for asking doubts but I do indeed feel quite similar to John. Some students like Michelle here are very much thoughtful and some even ask not to or don’t expect you to give away the final answer. However how many are indeed sincere students ? So, it’s not got much to do with cramster. They would get the answers from their friends anyway. And some are pathetic enough to rate you not helpful for just leaving out the final answer !!!

January 10, 2010 at 6:38 pm
(7) Brandy says:

I am currently Graduate Student and I discovered Cramster and Course Hero about a year ago. I have only used these websites as a study aid.

While I wouldn’t ever condone cheating, I do think collaboration amongst students can help improve a student’s performance. If the goal is truly for students to learn and perform well, collaboration between students can enhance learning not hinder it, and isn’t that in the best interest of both students and educators? There are many students (including myself) who want to know how to study effectively, where to concentrate their focus, or how to meet the expectations of a particular professor in a particular course. When used for these purposes, I would say websites like these can help students collaborate and improve.

As for the professor who has searched for his students on these websites, I can certainly understand (and applaud) his desire to keep academic dishonesty in check by checking the websites to make sure his students are doing their own work. However, there should be a way for students to obtain help from peers without it being considered cheating. As for myself, I didn’t even know you could post homework on the website and have someone do it for you…but then again, I am not a math major, nor do I have any desire to cheat. In addition, I would be afraid to use a solution that was provided to me by someone else (especially someone I didn’t know) without first checking to make sure that it was actually the right answer. Not only that, but if I didn’t actually understand how the individual arrived at that answer, how would I be able to explain myself if questioned, replicate the work on an exam, or be able to follow the same steps if I was given another problem? Helping students solve complex equations can be a helpful learning tool, but only if it helps them understand HOW to do it themselves, so that their learning is enhanced, rather than circumvented.

I have always wanted to make sure the work I turn in is accurate and thorough, but I do want it to be my own work. I participated in many study groups and study sessions as an undergraduate, where several of us would meet, look over each other’s notes, quiz each other, hand out study guides, etc., in order to prepare for exams. I have seen classmates proof each other’s papers, correct each other’s homework, and give each other ideas on how they could improve. If I knew someone had already taken a class that I was interested in taking, I would ask what the individual thought of the class, how difficult the course work was, what material would be covered, etc., in order to know going into the course what was expected. I’ve never viewed these types of interactions amongst students as cheating, and I never felt that my professors did, either.

The fact that there are now websites available which allow more students to interact and collaborate can be a good thing, when used appropriately. Yes, there are always going to be a percentage of students who are simply looking for shortcuts and want to get an “Easy A” but those students have always existed. The fact that some individuals cheat shouldn’t stop students who are honest from trying to do everything they can to perform well in their classes. If the objective is to have highly motivated students who are willing to use all available resources to increase their knowledge and improve their ability to perform well in class and on examinations, then I would contend that websites such as these can be a good thing. I would hate to see a few “bad apples” spoil it for the rest of us.

January 11, 2010 at 9:25 am
(8) Deb Peterson says:

Hi Brandy,
Thanks for such an insightful post. It’s nice to hear how sites likes these are used by students with integrity. I’m so glad they have been helpful to you, and appreciate that you shared your experience with others on the site. Thank you! I hope you’ll stick around and share your thoughts about other topics.
Deb

January 13, 2010 at 3:30 pm
(9) Laura says:

I’ve been using Course Hero and its been a useful tool in supplementing me in my notes and study guides. I agree with Brandy and feel that this site has effectively and efficiently help students study. I’m a hard working student who goes to all my classes, takes notes and does well on exams. But I know sometimes my notes might not be as thorough as I would like and finding material on Course Hero helps fill in those gaps. And so my studying has become more concentrated and effective on certain subjects that I would of missed without using notes other students have complied on the site. I think sites like these are the future for students and have changed the way students can become deeper and well rounded to succeed in their courses.

Education is a source of empowering knowledge and Course Hero has become another outlet for more of that knowledge. I think ultimately it will help students perform and meet all areas of academia.

February 22, 2010 at 11:11 pm
(10) Stuart says:

Despite what Ms. McKenna says above, the bare fact is that Cramster’s primary use is cheating. If a student merely wanted to find a similar problem to the one on which they are stumped a simple Google search will almost always provide what they want free of charge. Students who are willing to pony up $20 a month to be a “platinum member” on Cramster demand answers to their specific problems, right down to the last significant digit. They get those answers too, usually within 15 minutes after they post.

Why are people so motivated to help others cheat? Let’s follow the money. Those who solve problems for students are paid with “karma points” that can be traded for prizes (iPods and game systems are featured) and gift cards. Each karma point is worth roughly five cents and a solver can earn up to 15 karma points by solving a problem for a platinum member and receiving a rating of “lifesaver” from that member. Solvers receive less points from lesser “gold” members and even less for helping non-paying free members. What college student with an already-flexible moral compass can resist solving a few hundred easy (for them) problems in exchange for a PS-3?

Students who post problems often promise “lifesaver points” right in the subject line and there is an ever-present reminder on the page that solvers receive more karma points for helping the higher-paying members. Students often pay for multiple platinum accounts to get around the three-question-per-day limit. Cramster turns a blind eye to this, except when a student with mutiple accounts tries to answer his own questions to win prizes. Cheating is OK, as long as they aren’t trying to cheat Cramster! Even when they detect this, all they do is flag it as “possible abuse” and disallow karma points. This demonstrates how little Cramster pays attention to their own honor code.

Cramster also allows the posting of copyrighted material on their site without permission. The vast majority of posted problems come from copyrighted sources and neither the students nor Cramster have the right to publish them on the web.

The other dirty little secret about Cramster is that those subscribing to the service are unknowingly signing up for automatic renewals. Their credit card (or more likely, Mom’s card) will be charged automatically until they figure out how to unsubscribe from the service.

If Cramster were serious about not allowing cheating they would never allow final answers to be posted by their solvers. Instead, they follow the most profitable path, hiding behind a toothless (and ignored) honor code and extracting money from lazy or desperate children who don’t really understand how much those easy answers will hurt them in the long run.

It’s sad that the web is so good in some ways and so bad in others. Cramster and similar sites is a prime example of how the web can go wrong.

February 23, 2010 at 8:55 am
(11) Deb Peterson says:

Yow. I have to admit I didn’t know about the karma points. Thanks for sharing the economic side of this kind of service.

I guess given the various sides we’ve explored so far, I’m most willing to agree with those who have said it all depends on the integrity of the student who goes to Cramster for help. If you go intending to cheat, that’s what you’ll get. If you go looking for help only, not the answer, perhaps that’s what you’ll get.

February 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm
(12) Shaun says:

Well, I am currently an undergraduate student within an engineering major. I have just recently discovered cramster via friends and it has been a major study aid.

We use it by first attempting the problem, and then compare our work to the explanation provided. We can then see, step-by-step, what we are doing correctly, and what we have made a mistake in.

Because of the “budget crisis” our school is severely impacted and teachers aren’t available to answer questions as much as they used to be. Cramster is like having a teacher in your back pocket at all times. Quite helpful in my opinion.

February 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm
(13) Curt says:

I teach high school physics and physical science. Cramster is great. I was recently taking classes in differential and partial differential equations at the Ohio State University. Cramster was an exceptional amount of help. I used it to help with completing my homework and managed to get “A”s on the midterm and final exams.

For professors who are worried about students using it to cheat, simply make the homework worth less or don’t grade it at all. Just assign it and provide the solutions. Then base your grade on the midterm, final exam, and quizzes. You should increase the number of quizzes so that they are a substantial portion of the final grade.

Your students are adults or close to it. Time to let them take care of their own preparation. Give them lots of problems with lots of solutions, and then take the time to write new problems for your quizzes and exams.

This takes the negative aspects of Cramster out of the equation.

March 3, 2010 at 1:47 am
(14) Chris says:

As an undergrad electrical engineering student, I can attest to the enormous value of cramster. The fact is, cheaters will cheat. Period. Cramster has been of INCREDIBLE assistance to me in my studies. I recently took my Calc III midterm, and I scored a 100% (The average grade was a 68%). I feel that I owe this grade in part to cramster. My Linear Algebra professor even told our class to buy a membership to cramster.
In the end, each student must decide how dedicated he is to his own education. We are adults, and we can make our own decisions. I absolutely loathe professors whom treat us like kids, and try to parent us. Do your part and teach. Help us learn, but don’t try to force us to learn, because you can’t! In the end, the cheaters will fail, and the hard workers will utilize invaluable resources such as cramster to fuel their own success. Don’t try to take away effective tools like cramster based on the irresponsibility and immaturity of the under-achieving minority.

June 2, 2010 at 12:42 am
(15) Marko says:

I just started high school and cramster is very big help. I use it to study for exams and midterms. I have it open when doing homework, and use it to ensure that I am doing my homework right. To be honest, I have no way of using to cheat, and in the end if I copy it to do my homework, I don’t learn anything, and in turn could end up doing poorly on my tests. I would only be cheating myself. But either way, without it I would never be able to get the solutions to those long calculus questions.

July 26, 2010 at 10:19 pm
(16) Tim says:

I don’t use cramster or course hero but at my university so many people cheat by finding old tests. The professors only change the wording or sometimes a few questions and if a student has access to so many exams, then they have a clear advantage. Studying just those old exams will guarantee them at least a “B” grade.

I have a friend who knows someone else that always tests a course only when she has all the old tests for that course.

I consider having old tests as cheating but for these online services like course hero and cramster…if it’s only for homework then it’s fine but when it comes to old tests…..the cheaters are screwing up us hard working students. Simply put, I hate cheaters with a passion. In my school, there’s a certain group of people that are known to cheat, and they always sit in a huge group during test time… If I go and report them…I’ll be called a racist :P … I’m a minority by the way.

August 20, 2010 at 4:18 am
(17) Robbyrobby says:

I have been a menber of Transtutors sicle march 2009. Not abusing Cramster which was my first experience, i feel that transtutors were really fast in there approach. I have completed 12 assignments till date. I think they carry much large and huge section of study material as i completed a few assignments by my own just a few sample material was needed. well its all upto each individual, try Assignment Help of Transtutors.com , well yes in terms of design and site appeal Cramster Rocks but, I think i’m here for some serious material.

August 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm
(18) Megan says:

I have just recently found Cramster, because I was looking for someone to help me figure out my math homework as well as help me study for tests and I have found it to be really helpful. I don’t use it to cheat I use the step by step process to learn. I don’t just take the answer because for my homework I have to show all the work, but this site helps me understand certain steps and processes. I use it honestly and have not even been tempted to cheat because I only use it when I have trouble with the homework and don’t understand it or have to study for a test. So far I’m beginning to understand what the teacher is lecturing on because of Cramster. I hope people don’t use it to cheat because that is not what it is there for. But people will cheat if that is how they decide to get through school and life. Cramster is there to help the students learn the material instead of just giving them the answer. I feel bad for the people who just take advantage of the answers given and decide to skip the actual learning process that Cramster makes available with the step-by-step process as well as explanations of the problems.

September 8, 2010 at 2:59 pm
(19) Austin says:

Re auto-renewal on Cramster: I’m a grad student using Cramster and just received a surprise $100 bill on my credit card from Cramster’s autorenewal service. I thought I had canceled that long ago and received no warning from Cramster whatsoever that it was about to be renewed. Then I checked my credit card statement last night and saw this surprise.

So a warning to everybody out there – make sure you’re cancelling your subscription, because it can be confusing (and, I presume, intentionally so. There’s a reason, after all, they don’t email you before the subscription renews).

September 10, 2010 at 7:46 am
(20) Deb Peterson says:

Wow, that’s awful. Thanks for the good advice. Can you get the charge reversed?

September 11, 2010 at 12:12 am
(21) student says:

honestly you guys are idiots. Teachers are not meant to baby their students. If you have a problem with them taking information from online make the homework for practice and supply the answers or tell them about cramster, at least they see how problems are worked out. Most professors at universities care less to teach and are interested only in their research(ucla the school i attend is one example). I used cramster and am not willing to cheat but I didn’t do amazing on the test because I was worried about the homework POINTS. Make the homework and let them decide what to do with it we are mature after all aren’t we and the ones wanting to learn will learn.

By the way it is hillarious imagining you old teachers trying to figure out how students “cheat”. whatever makes you happy I guess

October 20, 2010 at 3:06 am
(22) George says:

I think this is just leveling the playing field for everyone. I know people who copy homework from others or hire tutors to do their homework for them.

Of course, that’s not ethical or even allowed by the universities. However, can anyone honestly say that if we were to remove sites like Cramster or Course Hero then cheating would go away?

I think the better solution would be to just stop making homework worth marks. That way the students would have no incentive to copy their homework online.

I think teachers are naive to think that if they make the rules then the students would follow them. There are some teachers who don’t release old midterms because they are too lazy to make new questions. Guess what? People get old midterms from their friends who took the course. Well, suddenly the people with access to those materials have a huge advantage over those who lack those resources.

Ultimately, I think it’s the teacher’s responsibility to design fair (and cheat-proof) grading systems rather than the students’ responsibility to act as monks and never take shortcuts.

November 10, 2010 at 1:09 am
(23) J says:

I recently began using Cramster, and I find it extremely helpful as an undergraduate student. My teachers have told us that they don’t care how we get our homework done as long as we learn from it. One teacher makes sure of this by weighing the homework grade with the final exam grade. As in, if you get 100% on homework, but a 60% on the final, (.60)(100)=60%, your final homework grade. If a teacher wants to make sure a student is actually getting something out of the homework instead of copying answers, there are extremely easy ways, like this, to do it.
When I look for homework answers online, I’m looking for someone who can show me how to work the problem out, not just give me the answer. I understand some students want to just get it done, but these sites also help the greater number of us who want to use these responses to learn. There are always ways to use the system immorally, but that’s no reason to condemn the people who use it for the right reasons.

December 23, 2010 at 6:55 am
(24) kuu says:

cramster homework tempting the students to cheat and crmaster also cheating the students with rewards.

December 23, 2010 at 7:00 am
(25) kuu says:

yes, cramster homework tempting the students to cheat

February 5, 2011 at 3:44 am
(26) Nicolas says:

Cramster & Course Hero are good for students!
I agree with all those who emphasized the importance of each individual doing well their part. My Prophet has always emphasized the following quote, “Whoever thou art, do well thy part.” This means that if you’re a teacher, you should teach well. There is no such thing as a bad student, but a bad teacher. Remember, just because you are a good professor does not mean you are a good teacher.
Students should do whatever it takes to learn. So, in a world of so many fine resources (i.e. electronics) they should take advantage of as many of these things as they can. This is not only for memorization, but understanding which will surpass the power of memorization. This is most beneficial when the teacher teaches not only with quantity, within reason, but quality. Remember, if you cheat, you only cheat yourself. The moment you truly understand this will be the moment you will no longer want to cheat. It will be at this point that you will want to learn with pure motives. It is for this purpose that we have Cramster.com, Transtutors.com, CourseHero.com, and many more online resources. As a TA in BYU’s Electrical Engineering program, I encourage my students and any who inquire to refer to whatever resource is necessary to help them receive enough practice for superior understanding of the concepts. Anything is understandable through good training/teaching guides.
I encourage all to refer to these resources because they truly want to understand what they need to for the prospective job. If you have a solutions manual without understanding, refer to something else. Whether you realize it or not, you are merely seeking for a better textbook for you as an individual. If you have nothing to study, especially refer to these resources and anyone else who can help. Nationwide statistics do show that students working in groups provide the means for greater understanding and success in their future.

March 14, 2011 at 3:59 am
(27) Carrie says:

In life it’s not about where you got the answers it’s about knowing where to find them. I even had a professor that did all open book tests for this reason and honestly in a lot of ways if you are not prepared it’s quite obvious if you have to spend all your time digging in the book you probably didn’t study at all.

March 14, 2011 at 6:47 am
(28) Deb Peterson says:

That’s an interesting point of view, Carrie. Knowing how to ask the right questions is an important part of knowing where to find the answers. I like it.

Here are a few related articles on the site:

Asking Questions

The Global Achievement Gap

April 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm
(29) kevin says:

I have recently just started using Cramster as a study aid to practice the problems other people have which are similar to the ones i am currently learning while earning points for practicing what i need to learn. It is true that many of the users will just use it only for answers. As funny as this sounds other people cheating has helped me learn because i have to solve what they don’t want to so it is a great practice incentive for me. I first started posting the steps to solve a problem with no numbers and just the equations needed and i was getting not helpful ratings from people who only wanted answers. I really don’t mind doing the work and explaining it as i go but if people are cheating they are only cheating themselves and exams tell the truth because you can’t use cramster to cheat on an exam. It can be a great tool when your stuck and can’t get any help. I have also found that you don’t even need to ask a question to get an answer. In most cases someone else has already asked the same question you have but with different numbers. A simple search on the site will bring you to a similar solution with different numbers which forces you to rework the problem with your numbers which i think helps to learn the steps. Overall I have used it to benefit me and there will always be people that will use a good tool for wrong. I really appreciate the people who specifically ask for an explanation and not the exact solution along with clear steps they are the ones who benefit from this tool.
-Kevin

April 6, 2011 at 7:26 am
(30) Deb Peterson says:

It’s all about intent, isn’t it? Thanks for sharing how you use Cramster, Kevin. Smart.

June 9, 2011 at 8:41 am
(31) Samir says:

Hi Everyone. I’d left a comment around 2 years ago, comment(6).

In the past two years, I’ve experienced the “college life” from end to end in the best Technical College in India (IIT), and have arrived at the following conclusions:

1. Integrity and sincerity as a student don’t count as long as you know your stuff. However, most students just ignore the “know your stuff” part, and draw a blank during their exams. That has nothing to do with sites like Cramster.com, and everything to do with what you think of education.

2. Using Cramster.com responsibly to grasp concepts and share your expertise can ONLY help you! Temptations are everywhere and all the time, so if you feel Cramster.com and similar sites are going to tempt you away from sincerity as a student, better stop studying and try something new :P

June 13, 2011 at 8:09 am
(32) Deb says:

Nicely said!

July 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm
(33) Dennis says:

I was wondering that cramster would be a perfect help source for me since im going to face 4 ap classes on my senior year. I would be able to get good grades on them but i wanna be able to get at least a 4 on all of them in order to acquire that i need outside help since i work part time and i won’t be able to get help from my teachers

September 20, 2011 at 10:20 am
(34) Josh says:

This might be a problem for high schools, but most college courses don’t grade HW, or if HW is graded it doesn’t count very much toward the final grade.

At least when it comes to quantitative subjects, these sites show you how to do problems, but when it comes time for the tests you are on your own.

February 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm
(35) Clay says:

The teachers at the college I attend don’t use textbook problems as homework, so the pre-solved problems only help me learn the process. As for the teacher searching for his/her students, I’m sure most cheaters don’t use their real name.

November 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm
(36) ron says:

I have been a menber of Transtutors sicle march 2009. Not abusing Cramster which was my first experience, i feel that transtutors were really fast in there approach. I have completed 12 assignments till date. I think they carry much large and huge section of study material as i completed a few assignments by my own just a few sample material was needed. well its all upto each individual, try Assignment Help of Transtutors.com , well yes in terms of design and site appeal Cramster Rocks but, I think iím here for some serious material.

November 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm
(37) reptos says:

As Ron said in terms or design and site appeal cramster rocks but there is one thing similar all these website I see all these websites offer homework or assignment help services which is somewhat hidden. The thing we see in cramster is book providing services, coursehero lectures videos and flash card for transtutors it is live tutoring, although transtutors provides this services openly. I came across one new website in the market http://enlightenedtutors.com and I loved their customer support and tutors and students 101 sessions.

January 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm
(38) Newt says:

I’m a grad student that used Cramster for physics as part of my undergrad. The proper way to use it, is to *do the problems first*, then check your answer to find out if, & why, you screwed it up…before the useless, non-English speaking TAs “go over” the problems in recitation. They do a bad job of it; a lot of recitations wouldn’t be worth it if they didn’t force you to attend with points. Cramster answers are usually more correct, and much more direct & streamlined, than what you’ll get from a grad student TA.

Cheating? Let’s get something straight; you still have to pass finals, any points you get for homework are a pittance. Anyone who just writes down the answers and turns it in will be dead meat on exams.

August 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm
(39) The Big Tutor says:

I have been a menber of The Big Tutor since 2010. Not saying that Cramster is not good but i feel that Helpinassignments.com were really fast in there approach. I have completed 20 assignments till date. I think they carry much large and huge section of study material as i completed a few assignments by my own just a few sample material was needed. well its all upto each individual, try Assignment Help of Helpinassignments.com , well yes in terms of design and site appeal Cramster Rocks but, I think iím here for some serious material.

November 20, 2013 at 3:36 pm
(40) Kate Walsh says:

I have had a disappointing experience with Course Hero as a tutor. I signed up to be a writing tutor because I have an English degree and thought it would be fun to make a little money editing papers and helping people locate resources. Every question I got from Course Hero was a request from a student for me to write a paper for them, usually for $3-$10. Teachers and educators, I highly recommend blocking this site on your school computers and devices, it just makes it too easy to cheat.