Source: Compiled from information from The American Council on Education, the official GED Testing Service, in an easy-to-use format.
What You Need to Know about Math
There are two parts to the mathematics test. Casio fx260 calculators are provided for Part 1. You may not use a calculator of any kind for Part 2, which tests your critical skills of estimation and mental math. A math formulas page is provided for Part 2.
Your understanding of mathematical concepts will be tested, as well as your ability to apply them to real-life situations. There are four major areas on the mathematics test:
- Number operations and number sense (20%–30%)
- Measurement and geometry (20%–30%)
- Data analysis, statistics, and probability (20%–30%)
- Algebra, functions, and patterns (20%–30%)
There are 25 questions on each part of the mathematics test. Eighty percent (80%) of them are multiple-choice. The remaining 20% require you to construct your own answer and record it on either a standard or coordinate plane grid. Be sure you’re familiar with these grids before taking your test.
The American Council on Education provides instructions for how to use both kinds of grids.
Time Allowed on Test
90 minutes total (1 hour, 30 minutes)
- 45 minutes with a Casio fx260 calculator
- 45 minutes without a calculator of any kind
Resources for Learning and Practicing
- The American Council on Education provides instructions for using the Casio fx260 calculator, including an 8-minute video.
- The math formulas page at the American Council on Education.
- Sample Test Questions from the GED Testing Service
- Practice Mathematics Test from GED Prep Info
- McGraw-Hill’s Online Learning Center Practice Math Test