Use the worksheet they provide to make sure you have all the information you need before starting the online application. Here's the list of documents to start gathering:
- Social Security Number
- Driver's license number
- W-2 forms or other documentation of money earned
- Your federal income tax return and your spouse's (if separate)
- Your parents' income tax return (if you're still dependent)
- Untaxed income records
- Current bank statements
- All investment records
- Any veteran's education benefits
- Alien registration or permanent resident card (if not a U.S. citizen)
It sounds complicated, and there is a lot of info to gather, but it's free money. Do not pay anybody to apply to www.fafsa.gov for you.
If you need money for school, start at www.fafsa.gov.