Al taught for 40 years, ending his career teaching visual arts and interdisciplinary studies, and serving as artist-in-residence, at Culver-Stockton College from 2004-2007.
He is best known for his innovative and creative educational experiences:
- HL3I (The Humanities Lab for Ideas, Inquiry, and Interaction): An interdisciplinary high school experience.
- Man & the Lively Arts: A team teaching college course connecting the visual, musical and dramatic arts.
- Dimensions in Thinking: Discovering paths for the interrelationship of creative thinking with cognitive reasoning.
- Art: The Organic Idea: An introduction to visual literacy
- Myth, Fable and the Clay Experience: Insights developed through creative clay metaphor interpreting mythology.
- Wishcraft: A summer workshop for a community college to energize the imagination of elementary school children.
- ISA (Imaginative Symbol Association): A cooperative game for all ages invented to encourage creative connections.
- Life Tools: New Visions: A program to develop creative thinking.
Today, Al is an author, poet, and award-winning artist. You can learn more about him at rockyhollow.org, where you'll find photos of his magical home and whimsical art.
Articles about Al's work: